Guest Storm-

The state of OHS

Guest Storm-

Dunno, if its just me or, has OHS become a shadow of what it once was? From lobbies now taking 30 minutes to fill, to a forever-in-work-stats-page, to our inability to even have an inhouse game night, with people claiming they will be there, to predictably never showing up, it seems to me like this place is dying, albeit very slowly.

This place has been around long enough, you would expect that things actually worked, but since GriefCode always wants something better (which is admirable) this place will forever be a 'work in progress'. Most people would be satisfied with a basic stats page, if it meant that it worked, or ELO rating system that made sense to people. Now when I left this place for a bit to go play DotA 2, it seemed to be in far better condition that what it is now, and im not exactly sure what has gone wrong, but it seems to me that something has gone wrong, more than one thing I would imagine.

Or maybe I'm imagining all these problems, maybe they don't exist, but I've had multiple people voice their concerns about this place recently, enough people to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

I would like to be able to point out what exactly is the problem, or how to fix it, but alas, that is beyond me at the moment.

Well, you are right with the statspage is being in a progress all the time, but that is what making us unique. You ever saw another community working on anything? I haven't noted a mentionable development on any of the other platforms.

The statspage is stable, aside some tweaks since yesterday's release. Which can always happen. They will be fixed today.
Please let me know what you think is "stable" or "basic" which is not available yet.

Aside one and a half complaint on the elo calculation, i could not find more. More the opposite, i got ton of positive feedback on the algorithm.
I am only able to react on feedback to find a suiteable solution, the platform is made on feedback and impressions i am getting.

Thats why i like the topic, we might can collect some more ideas /suggestions and feedback, some peopl appear to have opinions but dont tell them.

About the join rate, on the evenings there is a faster rate than before, but on the early hours, less. It is the same on any other bots, i just compare them for weeks now. It appears that the player base keeps decreasing constantly. Also when our players had a slight increase the recent month.

About the meetup, do i need to remind you on the tournament we once had? :P 
Maybe when i finished the chat system, it is more attractive for players to create such groupped moments as it should be supported on mobile devices.

I got an idea how we can adjust the join rate.

I will later try that out.

Greetings

1 hour ago, Storm- said:

From lobbies now taking 30 minutes to fill, to a forever-in-work-stats-page, to our inability to even have an inhouse game night, with people claiming they will be there, to predictably never showing up, it seems to me like this place is dying, albeit very slowly.

Hi Stormiboy,

I already spoke with Blacky. I thought the game is on Sunday... I did a weekend-trip until Sunday-evening. I will organise for this weekend a nice game. Probably today, maybe right now if I have time :)

Regards,
Cow

Well, dota 1 is a bit old and is normally to have less and less players.

However, comparing to other communities we have BEST system - data base/ELO system/forum/pings on bots -

Everything is under development because every day appear something new and Grief tries to keep up with current flow.

What other communities have? same ELO system/same forums templates and well, crappy hosts

I`m with OHS since almost 4 years ago ( my daughter wasant even born lol ) and i quit Garena for OHS because i saw smth new, i saw two ppl with new ideas and everything done right.

• Thanks 1

I have never waited more than 2-3 mins for game to start,only after 3am.For that developing thing,Patience is very good virtue,we have all basics we need and even more than that.I was personaly skeptic in Griefcode's work as well,but now i see how much effort ,skills and time he did for this place,liest we all owe him is a little trust and patience.As you can see we have most functional and very well designe of the forum,and it is being updated daily.And about that players number issue,i think it is because kids usaly play new moba's and dota is for us old school players who have matured enough to start work,have girlfriend,real problems etc so we cant put so much time in it as we were few years ago.And i am sure that we can organise some tournament again on inhouse games when time comes for it such as summer breaks holidays or something,when all people have pause with their school/collages or other stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GriefCode said:

The statspage is stable, aside some tweaks since yesterday's release. Which can always happen. They will be fixed today.
Please let me know what you think is "stable" or "basic" which is not available yet.

Maybe i need to clarify one big point on that.
I code my stuff working with my own priority on patches & features.
As long as I'm not getting a demand on a specific patch, i keep it on my plan.

So far the next update is exactly what people demand the most:

• Live Games -> Current running games

Now that i realized today we have an issue with missing main connections for accounts, I also need to fix that additional with the patch above.

Later on, we have a lot more planned which was demand over months now, but all has a priority which i keep for myself and my development.
Maybe I will add a featurelist where users simply can up vote to find the most important patches for people that I can be developed first then.

Probably it takes time to create patches as I use to do them from scratch. A lot system on other platforms share the same copy/paste code :P 

Greetings

Ps: Good to see some feedback, please continue on that. Positive or negative, we are open for any kind.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Can't say much about other hoster`s forums but on this one you have  an admin that:

> actually listens to the people

> tries to improve the page/stats/w/e all the time = a really good thing**

** being "a work in progress" does not mean that that's a bad thing;

Constantly improving a project makes it better and better.... Constantly

> is pretty much available 24/7

this alone and ofc the fact that the bots hardly ever have issues and the ping is always good makes OHS for me the best bot hoster there is and actually ever was.

As for decrease in players... don't really see any at all.

As for inhouses...

3 hours ago, God_hate_us_all said:

work,have girlfriend,real problems etc so we cant put so much time in it as we were few years ago.

exactly this.

• Thanks 1

Hi @GriefCode

I have to say, you are a big man here. Improving things daily makes people to read our forum and to give us more ideas. You took time for everyone and respond to almost all posts. Respect. We all see you spend much time to improve OHS and we like it (statspage, anonym reports, elo-in-game, ideas, future plans).

@god_hate_us_all nice one :) 

4 hours ago, God_hate_us_all said:

And about that players number issue,i think it is because kids usaly play new moba's and dota is for us old school players who have matured enough to start work,have girlfriend,real problems etc so we cant put so much time in it as we were few years ago.And i am sure that we can organise some tournament again on inhouse games when time comes for it such as summer breaks holidays or something,when all people have pause with their school/collages or other stuff.

The only negative point is maybe the new elo system. Tbh I liked more the old and basic one which is most known for everyone. But maybe the new one will become even better when the elo-gain is updated with new elo-system. Atm when you realise you play for 0 elo it sucks :D But I know that isn't the truth. 

Regards,
Cow

• Thanks 1

you never play for 0 elo,check stats page and you will see it,u can win from 3-4 points to like 20 or even more for win in any game.I find this system a lot better,old one was cmon,u win game get 2-3-4 points,u lose BOOM -25 or more

42 minutes ago, God_hate_us_all said:

you never play for 0 elo,check stats page and you will see it,u can win from 3-4 points to like 20 or even more for win in any game.I find this system a lot better,old one was cmon,u win game get 2-3-4 points,u lose BOOM -25 or more

Yea stackerz get 2-3-4 elo and lose 25 :D (take it easy)

3 minutes ago, God_hate_us_all said:

even with 1k elo team if your elo is high enough you will get 3,i am playing solo mostly and thats realy [email protected]$% to lose so much points because of your team throwin,and to win that 25 elo back u must win 5,6 games

Even with my 1600 elo acc it was possible to get about 20 elo per game. It's true you have to play heroes like lina, tiny, meepo, voker etc.. but it is possible. Just join the worse team. The others will probably also have a high-elo player. In my view, this isn't the main reason to say the new system is better. 

Dota 1 is getting old now and the Dota 1 community most does prefer OHS. The games will fill quickly during the European daytime, but once it hits after midnight (EU Time) less players will be on playing. If you check the other Dota hosting servers at the same time i do notice ohs does fill more than the others at this "dead time".

The tournament I definitely agree there should perhaps be a setup time and date to set one up. I remember i have played tournaments here which were alot of fun. I think we had about 5 or 6 teams. Thankfully my team won "team Fox" at the time. It was alot of fun and would gladly participate in another one.

I found a thread that could help, Its called Sunday League. The link i posted didnt work

Edited by Mirana!

9 hours ago, Mirana! said:

Dota 1 is getting old now and the Dota 1 community most does prefer OHS. The games will fill quickly during the European daytime, but once it hits after midnight (EU Time) less players will be on playing. If you check the other Dota hosting servers at the same time i do notice ohs does fill more than the others at this "dead time".

The tournament I definitely agree there should perhaps be a setup time and date to set one up. I remember i have played tournaments here which were alot of fun. I think we had about 5 or 6 teams. Thankfully my team won "team Fox" at the time. It was alot of fun and would gladly participate in another one.

I found a thread that could help, Its called Sunday League. The link i posted didnt work

@Mirana! I could organise one. Did one in DRB but we had just 3 teams... But tbh I don't think it's gonna work. As far as you can see, we have 1 player, who wants to play sunday-games... Ik in tournaments you have a winner-price and everything, but the motivation isn't here. Or ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cow said:

@Mirana! I could organise one. Did one in DRB but we had just 3 teams... But tbh I don't think it's gonna work. As far as you can see, we have 1 player, who wants to play sunday-games... Ik in tournaments you have a winner-price and everything, but the motivation isn't here. Or ?

i would suggest try a 1vs1 tournament rather. Because of the time zone diffrencies it will be very hard to almost impossible to arrange timeslots where all 10 players of 1 game can play.

It would be much easier with 1vs1 tournament.

Like Grief could set up a bot where you need 2 players to start (optional 2 obs slots), the replays will be collected so there would not even be a need of an admin to be there.

7 minutes ago, l2p.com said:

i would suggest try a 1vs1 tournament rather. Because of the time zone diffrencies it will be very hard to almost impossible to arrange timeslots where all 10 players of 1 game can play.

It would be much easier with 1vs1 tournament.

Like Grief could set up a bot where you need 2 players to start (optional 2 obs slots), the replays will be collected so there would not even be a need of an admin to be there.

Ye, probably way better then 5v5. Half of 'em won't appear. 

Does it mean I already won, or is there some1 who can rek cow :o ?

1 minute ago, Cow said:

Ye, probably way better then 5v5. Half of 'em won't appear. 

Does it mean I already won, or is there some1 who can rek cow :o ?

question is, who can't rek cow :D

• Haha 1

I thought a long time now about 1v1 bots.
There could be a seasonbased league on that with +5/-3/-15 system, as that would be enough.
But how to determine who can play vs who etc. If some keeps playing and winning he will get a lot elo in a few games to have a huge distance.

@GriefCode

Just do it like Champions-League. We can also create a table on a separate site. The loser is out, the winner goes to the next round.

Or you really want all vs all.

2 minutes ago, GriefCode said:

I thought a long time now about 1v1 bots.
There could be a seasonbased league on that with +5/-3/-15 system, as that would be enough.
But how to determine who can play vs who etc. If some keeps playing and winning he will get a lot elo in a few games to have a huge distance.

Well if you just randomly let them play each other it wont be fair i guess. There could be players who play vs worse players all the time and get +5 all the time^^ Well actually you could also let that running but it wont say much in a public 1vs1 bot.

You could make a second bot where you have to sign up. So then you can make a tournament out of it, or make something like a league out of it. where every1 has to play against every1 once or twice.

1 minute ago, l2p.com said:

Well if you just randomly let them play each other it wont be fair i guess. There could be players who play vs worse players all the time and get +5 all the time^^ Well actually you could also let that running but it wont say much in a public 1vs1 bot.

You could make a second bot where you have to sign up. So then you can make a tournament out of it, or make something like a league out of it. where every1 has to play against every1 once or twice.

Well I think a sign system is a lot better.

But, I think I will add an elo script. If you have a high elo but play vs lower players, you will gain less and less, once you loose, you loose a lot.

My target is that you can get +10 for a game, and if the difference is like 50 points, you only will get +1 for a win, but -10 on a loose. Something like that.
That will also scale a lot the maximum distance.

The sign system will simply avoid having boostings with friends etc.

• Like 1