Elo Update Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Current statspage development

Hey community,

I assume most of you noted that I haven't pushed any changes over nearly 2 months now.
I just stopped around 1 month ago the development generally as I got demotivated over the time, for several reasons.
Before I start to mention them privately to the people who asked me on this, I decided to publicly announce it this time.

One big factor is mostly about feedback on ideas, I tend to post a lot of stuff during the development phase of a patch or feature and mostly don't even get a hint what the players think about an idea. I want critic on stuff and ideas before I start to develop something, then I can most directly head it in a direction everyone does agree with.

Another, an even bigger factor is, that our forum software just announced a deprecation on the login module I have integrated to the stats page. I basically spend over 5 days to get this integration working as the documentation and support is awful on that. And with one simple post, they just destroyed the whole work and time I invested into that.

The blog post on the upcoming feature:
https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-sign-in-from-other-sites-using-oauth-r1058/

And the deprecation/removal of the current login system:
https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-sign-in-from-other-sites-using-oauth-r1058/?do=findComment&comment=205575

This will require a lot of rework on the stats page, however, it will be a lot easier to integrate the login system. As I personally spent a lot of time on oAuth2 servers and clients with other projects.
Additionally, I just thought about fully recode the page by using the new major version of our framework, which is a lot more modular and actually starts with a microframework. It was shortly released after I started the stats page.

The factor that the login system is actually worth nothing, is pushing me more to the thought waiting for the release of the forum and start rather from scratch with the latest framework version, than working on something that is meant to be broken in some time.

That does not mean all work till now is worthless, I mostly can copy over the whole things into the new system. I will also start integrating a front-end javascript framework when doing so, it does allow me to easier extend the whole page in the future.

So I'm sorry for the delay and I hope the reason for that is understandable, I think the stats page is currently stable, except some stuff, which is minor for now, this is why I would leave it for now like it is.

And yes, we will use the Christmas event tickets when everything is back in place and I finally could publish the new Elo algorithm.

Greetings,
Grief

• Upvote 3

Guest The-EGS-TV
4 minutes ago, GriefCode said:

I just stopped around 1 month ago the development generally as I got demotivated over the time, for several reasons.

hey grief i know that feeling. i wish i or anyone here could be more helpful in whatever you need so all of this come to life. as you mentioned, the statspage do have some minor bugs indeed, but it is stable. but reworking everything from scratch is not actually needed, if the whole thing is working properly. just find a reliable time to make a few fixes imo , and work from scratch on your "extended free time". also have in mind that alot of people maybe cannot fully understand what is going on, for example newcommers like me, with a bit of heavy setbacks in real life, that does not help me use my thoughts to read all the updates and "think" of how i can criticize or share new ideas, cause honestly i have none atm :D . but i hope in time, when the members actually finds a way to follow you in thoughts, or me recover from all the stuff, while you can recover your motivation, then we can all find our way back into helping each other to make this community even greater than it is now.

i hope that defines what i mean, and i wish you the very best of luck.

Guest Graou
22 hours ago, The-EGS-TV said:

hey grief i know that feeling.

Why you're not demotivated with dota then ? Sorry I had to do it nothing personal :D

Guest The-EGS-TV
9 minutes ago, Graou said:

Why you're not demotivated with dota then ? Sorry I had to do it nothing personal :D

playing the game is different than trying to accomplish something where you really need to work hard for it, playing a game cannot bring you to be demotivated. but working for nothing and with no response makes you feel that all of your work is useless... i hope i delivered the message correctly